Personalized Care To Prepare for Coronavirus COVID-19
High Performance Healthcare is our specialty, serving people who demand more from their medical providers. If you are not satisfied with band aids and symptom relief, and want to prevent disease and optimize health, we can help.
The Coronavirus is a real threat, but the only advice you’ll see is “wash your hands, cough into your sleeve, stay home if you are sick.” This is just not sufficient. We demand more, and in fact, there is much more we can do to stay healthy and survive this impending threat.
The Truth About Coronavirus
- It is deadly. If you’ve heard it compared to the flu, that’s just not truthful. Coronavirus has a death rate at least 23X higher than the flu. (2.3% or more vs. 0.1% for flu)
- Children are getting milder cases and it is less lethal for them, but they are getting infected and spreading the disease even when they are asymptomatic (symptom free). Older adults are far more likely to die from this virus and to suffer severe reactions and complications.
- You can reduce your risk of illness and/or severity. There is no vaccine, but there are methods to enhance your immunity and reduce your risks.We practice an evidence based mind-body approach to medicine, recognizing that an integrated approach is essential to enhanced performance and resiliency.
You can prepare yourself for optimum health in advance of the spreading virus. This can be a wake-up call for us all to stop taking our health for granted, and finally make those lifestyle changes that will benefit our immune systems today and into the future. We can help! Personalized medical care for high performing people is here - now - at The Miletic Center.
It starts with a thorough health assessment and a health performance plan made specifically for you. We then work together with you to reach your goals, finding the right nutrition, supplements, hormones, exercise, stress reduction techniques, and other tools just for you. You’ll have access to “Care On Call” 24/7 for everything from fevers to flu, stress to sleep disturbance, and of course, performance optimization and wellness.
Get started here with some basics everyone should adopt now to prepare and enhance their immune system. Schedule your consultation to personalize a plan for you and your family. We look forward to working with you.
1. Food is Good Medicine
- Eat a rainbow of fruits and vegetables daily
- Add avocado and olive oil for important good fats
- Lots of lean protein to power your system – fish, nuts, beans
- Time to cut out any processed foods, any added sugar and drink those 8 glasses of water daily
- Harvard’s “Healthy Eating Plate” is a great tool to reset your habits.
- Dr. Mark Hyman’s new book “Food Fix” - “I’ve seen thousands of ill patients become thriving, healthy humans by taking a comprehensive approach to wellness starting with real food.” link: Listen to Dr. Peter Attia interview Hyman.
- See also: Nutrition Coaching
2. Reduce Stress and Increase Exercise to Boost Immunity
- Practice Meditation or Mindfulness 4 times per week. Just 15 minutes of breathing and stillness can significantly boost your immune system.
- Explore Yoga – in a class or online – for strength, balance, breathing and calm.
- Walking outdoors in any weather boosts your energy, reduces stress and helps clear your mind. You just can’t take a brisk walk without a smile on your face! Invite others to join you and make it a social outing.
- Exercise to boost your immune system. Studies have shown significant benefits for strong immunity and reduced inflammatory markers.
- Stress decreases the body’s white blood cells that help fight off infection. The lower your level, the more at risk you are for viruses.High stress levels also can cause depression and anxiety, again leading to higher levels of inflammation. In the long-term these sustained high levels of inflammation point to an overworked immune system that can’t properly protect you.
- link: What happens when your immune system gets stressed out.
- link: The compelling link between physical activity and the body’s defense system.
- See also: Brain & Body Balance
3. Sleep is The Key
- 8 Hours is your new minimum! Lack of sleep suppresses the immune system by 30% -so get more than you think you need to support a healthy immune system.
- Start Now. Set an early bedtime – 10pm latest – and start winding down one hour earlier. No phones and no electronics. Music, reading, meditation, a hot bath and other relaxing activities will help you wind down for quality sleep.
- Create a sleep environment that supports deep uninterrupted hours. Dark and quiet and cool are the keys. Consider blackout shades, a white noise machine, and turn the thermostat down to 64 or lower.
- Keep a sleep journal or use an online app to track your sleep. If you’re really into tech tools, look into an Oura Ring – popular with Miletic Center staff! We can fit you for yours right in our office, or order online.
4. Seek Joy, Gratitude and Connection
- Gratitude is an instant mood lifter, taking you outside your worries and boosting your serotonin levels. Take a gratitude break twice daily to focus on appreciating goodness around you – then make it a habit throughout the day.
- Sharing with others seems contrary when fighting a virus – but time spent with loved ones will create calm and joy that is a powerful weapon against illness.
- Emotions and Immunity - more evidence of the brain-body connection, and its importance in keeping us healthy. Link.
- Dr. Leonard Calabrese is a renowned immunologist at Cleveland Clinic, and this podcast is worth every minute! He talks about mindfulness, joy and gratitude and it’s influence over our immunities. Listen here.
- See also: Brain & Body Balance
5. And yes, wash your hands…
- Frequent hand washing – 20 seconds or more with warm water and soap- is important to keep germs out of your system and to keep from spreading germs to others. Before you eat, whenever you’ve been out in public, immediately upon getting home… well, you get it!
- Stop touching your face! Germs get into your system when your hands touch your lips, mouth, nose and eyes. So – stop it!
- Stay home if you are getting sick – nobody will appreciate seeing you when you are ill, and catching it early is the kind thing to do for those around you.
Ready for a personalized program to boost your system? It starts with a thorough health assessment and plan made specifically for you. We then work together with you to reach your goals, finding the right nutrition, supplements, hormones, exercise, stress reduction techniques, and other tools just for you. You’ll have access to “Care On Call” 24/7 for everything from fevers to flu, stress to sleep disturbance, and of course, performance optimization and wellness. If you are serious about wellness, we are your team.